CIGNA has provided the following clarification concerning a 271 response:
- Providers may receive a 271 response from CIGNA directing them to contact a third party administrator for additional eligibility and benefit verification. This response may indicate a termination date for previous coverage (e.g., mental health).
- Providers receiving this response still have active coverage with CIGNA.
- Providers should contact the third party administrator as indicated in the response, but ignore the previous coverage termination date.
- CIGNA will be removing the dates associated with the patient's previous coverage from the transaction on March 22, 2013 to resolve any confusion.
- This is primarily occurring for Southern Benefit Administrator patients, but may also occur for others that receive coverage through a shared administration or other third party administrator.
Action Required: Please be aware of this issue.
If you have any questions, please contact Client Services at 1-888-348-8457, option 2.
At CollaborateMD we are obsessed with getting your medical claims paid fast. All of us at CollaborateMD are here and ready to help make your life easier.
Give us a call at 877.480.6517 for more information.