Published on March 22, 2013
CIGNA has provided the following clarification concerning a 271 response:
- Providers may receive a 271 response from CIGNA directing them to contact a third party administrator for additional eligibility and benefit verification. This response may indicate a termination date for previous coverage (e.g., mental health).
- Providers receiving this response still have active coverage with CIGNA.
- Providers should contact the third party administrator as indicated in the response, but ignore the previous coverage termination date.
- CIGNA will be removing the dates associated with the patient's previous coverage from the transaction on March 22, 2013 to resolve any confusion.
- This is primarily occurring for Southern Benefit Administrator patients, but may also occur for others that receive coverage through a shared administration or other third party administrator.
Action Required: Please be aware of this issue.
If you have any questions, please contact Client Services at 1-888-348-8457, option 2.